The Mistakes I Made in my Thrift Wears Business

A short sleeveless gown. Zeesbudget_store

I grew up with an elder sister who was incredibly passionate about fashion. She had a remarkable talent for transforming discarded fabrics into stylish pieces that could be worth a fortune. That girl is good!
 

By the time she turned 17, my mom had somehow given up on buying her new clothes because she would either complain about the fit or find them unstylish. Being her younger sibling, I naturally followed in her footsteps. By the time I was old enough to begin going out, we both would often visit a popular secondhand market called Udua Fiong Etok in Eket to find unique pieces that suited our style, making many of our peers in the neighbourhood admire our outfits and ask where we got them from. But due to the common belief that thrift clothing was unsanitary, my sister and I would often lie about the origin of our clothes and move on.

 

Initially, I didn’t embrace the idea of thrift shopping. Not because I thought it unsanitary, but because I thought it to be a practice of not well-to-do homes who could not afford new clothing.

 

Later on, I began incorporating a combination of new and thrifted pieces into my wardrobe. I would even carefully select items that appealed to my taste and style, regardless of whether or not they were ready-made or pre-owned.

 

Fast forward to 2017. Though I can’t pinpoint the exact time, I began to notice a surge in online sales of secondhand clothing referred to as “thrift”. This development brought me relief as I no longer had to search for these items. Instead, I could simply browse through Instagram, select my favourite pieces, and have them safely delivered to my doorstep.


In 2020 when the pandemic hit and remote work became the norm, I engaged in a lengthy conversation with a colleague who suggested that I venture into the business of selling thrift clothing, given my talent for pairing outfits together and my genuine passion for it. This idea resonated with me as it aligned perfectly with one of my favourite pastimes.

  

After that conversation, I decided to create a business account on Instagram, reached out to my sister who was studying at Aba, and asked for her assistance in curating thrifted pieces for my business. Thankfully, she agreed, and within three months, I was ready to launch.

However, as the business went on, I quickly realised curating skills alone weren't enough to sustain my business. I encountered many challenges and mistakes that hindered its growth and required me to develop additional skills and knowledge to thrive in the industry.

 

The first and major of such mistakes were not conducting proper market research, which of course entails learning about the intricacies of the industry. I naively believed that all they were to do was–just purchase thrifted pieces, take photos, post them online, and wait for customers to make purchases. I had no understanding of crucial concepts such as customer personas and market segmentation–all of which would significantly impact my sales later on.

 

Neglecting these essential aspects of the business, I failed to effectively target my ideal customers as well as tailor my services to their preferences. This resulted in missed opportunities and limited customer engagement. But when I came to recognise the importance of thorough research and understanding the nuances of the industry, it dawned on me that I had better change to enhance the success of my business.

 

The second mistake I made during the early stages of my business was inconsistency. The thing is, I had unrealistic expectations of achieving instant results and becoming a popular brand within a short period of, say a year. When I didn’t see the progress I had hoped for, I became discouraged which got me posting sporadically on social media or whenever it was convenient for me to do so.

 

However, I soon realised that consistency was crucial for building a successful brand. Without a consistent oppo presence, it's challenging to gain traction and engage with the target audience effectively. I understood that building a brand takes time, effort, and a wide presence across platforms. Also, the importance of having a regular posting schedule, engaging with my audience consistently and maintaining a cohesive brand image was learnt. This shift towards consistency paid off in improving my business’s visibility and overall growth.

 

The third challenge was the genuine lack of passion for being a business owner. That sounds odd. Isn't it? I mean while I was passionate about sourcing unique thrifted pieces, I didn’t have the same level of passion for the business side of it. I would resonate well with someone who expressed a preference for working behind the scenes and managing operations than being in the forefront. Does that suggest I'm shy? I don't think so.

 

Over time, my perspective shifted and my true passion for the business began to grow at which point I understood that running a successful venture required intentionality and wholehearted commitment. I got more invested in the growth and development of my business, and every action I took almost became aligned with its success. This new-found passion enabled me to approach my business with enthusiasm, determination, and a clear vision of purpose and dedication. It also enabled me to solve my initial challenges and drive the business forward into a bright future.

 

The fourth challenge I faced was the feeling of shame and internal conflict regarding my business. Recall, when I first started there was this deep-seated belief that thrifting was associated with poverty, and so I felt selling thrifted items would only intensify this feeling. Before posting any piece for sale, I would have to mentally prepare for the bad feeling and overcome the shame that comes with it. Fortunately, I have since learned and unlearned certain perspectives. I now understand that thrifting is not exclusive to those with limited means. It is a creative way for individuals to express their style and contribute to environmental sustainability by reducing waste in landfills. 


…thrifting is not exclusive to those with limited means. It is a creative way for individuals to express their style and contribute to environmental sustainability by reducing waste in landfills.


Embracing this new perspective relieves me of long-held shame and internal conflict because I now fully appreciate the value and uniqueness of thrifted items, and would proudly showcase my wares without a bad feeling, especially when I remember that thrifting is a choice driven by personal style and environmental consciousness.

 

In retrospect, my journey as a thrift business owner has been filled with valuable lessons and personal growth. I started without much knowledge and unrealistic expectations, but through perseverance and learning from my mistakes, I'm now able to transform my passion for fashion and thrifted items into a thriving business.

 

I appreciate the importance of thorough research, the need for consistency, and the power of genuine passion in entrepreneurship. Also, overcoming the initial shame and embracing the true value of thrifting has allowed me to nonetheless love my business given its positive impact on both style and the environment.

 

As my business continues to evolve, I'm grateful for the lessons and experiences that have shaped me. Thrifting is not just about affordable fashion; it is about creativity, self-expression, and making a positive difference in the world.

 

So, whether you are an avid thrifter, a fashion enthusiast, or simply anyone looking for a unique style, consider exploring the world of thrift fashion. You might be surprised by the treasures you would find as well as the interesting story behind each piece.

 

Throughout my business journey, I've learnt that success lies not only in the bottom line but also in the joy and fulfilment that comes from pursuing a passion, creating your path, and making a positive impact. So, go ahead, embrace your style, support sustainable fashion, and enjoy the beauty of thrifted treasures.


This article was written by Edu-uwem, the CEO of Zeesbudget store. Are you planning your thrift wears business, call her on 0(+234) 0810 362 3318



Comments

Anonymous said…
Beautiful!!! I so much love thrift wears because of its uniqueness, hardly would you see your wears on random people.
Anonymous said…
To be honest, there has never been anything bad about thrift clothing because the owner of the business is bridging a gap which is basically what most businesses are about. If people can purchase pre-owned phones, cars, watches etc, why not clothes?
As long as you are intentional about your business, you will most times be successful at it. Continue to learn and continue to grow.
Very lovely piece
Anonymous said…
One of the best things with thrifting is the low prices for good quality clothing. You get to save money and get good deals. Shopping thrift wears is a simple and easy way to go green
Anonymous said…
Na mumu Dey shameπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ me wey don Dey shout since for Facebook with countless caption like ROCKING MY EXPENSIVE OKRIKA πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ u have coke a long way and u going to a bigger place with this and many more stuffs! Next please don’t have time for cheap gossip
Anonymous said…
Interesting read. I personally don’t see anything wrong with thrift wears.

Popular posts from this blog

Is the Lagos State Government banning plastics for real?

Four things that make a Digital copy impressive